Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm an information technology manager. That means I get to deal with software updates, and the software companies that put their heads in the sand when it comes to updates that affect their products. I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm going to bring it up again. Many of you are probably aware that Microsoft has released a new version of Internet Explorer. What's important here to note is that this product has been in a public beta for a long time. Now at work we have this software product that does some automation for testing through Internet Explorer. The onset of the new IE (Internet Explorer 7.0) has apparently missed this software product company, because their inexcusable solution to compatibility with their product is to block the new version. Before someone starts commenting about software development being difficult, integration being difficult, believe me I know. I started out in software development out of college and did that for about six years before moving to systems and network management. It's still insanely irresponsible for a software company to say "sorry, you have to hold up on any system updates to use our product." This when you consider my grandma could have downloaded a beta herself and started doing development on it (had she the background of course). If your company's solution to updates by your underlying platform is "don't upgrade," you deserve to be attacked savagely with six broken CDROM discs.